Wednesday 28 January 2015

Badman Humza funded by the UK Government under the Prevent Strategy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-31004012


In an unlikely partnership, counter-terrorism police have teamed up with a Muslim comedian in an attempt to prevent British teenagers being radicalised by extremists.



In one of the scenes, in a park, Arshad tries to stop his disillusioned cousin from being brainwashed by extremists using the teachings of Islam. "Brother, you're changing," he says. "Islam is about peace, if you want to stand up for something, then do so, but not with anger and violence."




'I'm a comedian, I'm not a politician. I'm just trying to do something positive. Muslims are portrayed in a negative light because of the actions of some extremists. It's really important for me, as a British Muslim, to step up and tell young people their actions are wrong."

The film is shown as part of anti-extremism lessons led by trained counter-terrorism officers. These lessons were first piloted in Leicester by the East Midlands Special Operations Unit's (EMSOU) Prevent team. They are now being rolled out to secondary schools across the UK.

One student says: "I thought the film was influential because it tells you the right thing to do and stay away from terrorist organisations. It's a good way to teach us an important message in a comical way. I've learnt that if I notice people doing extreme things, I should act on it."

No comments:

Post a Comment